Monday, December 1, 2008

NaNo failure, but with hope

Well, of course everyone knows I didn't get anywhere near finishing 50,000 words in 30 days--I knew I wouldn't be able to right when week two started up. However, although this is technically the end of my commitment to finishing, I have every intention of getting through however many words it takes to reach the end, be it in 50,000 words or 100,000, in one month or in ten. I have a feeling this novel is going to mean a lot more to me (and hopefully to others, especially the Circle) than just a bunch of strangers floating around on a ship. I've got big things planned--not the starship battles and laser phaser guns and photon torpedoes, but something that science fiction used to be and lost along the way. I just can't wait to get there.

I guess that's the biggest problem: getting there. I want so bad to just skip to the middle and get to the point, but I can't make myself do it. I know I'd never go back to the beginning after that, and it would ruin it to skip making the characters really live.

But that was the failure part. Now onto the hope :) Time for some early author notes!

I'm considering writing up a glossary to go with the novel as I add terms. The last chapter didn't have too many, but I'm sure that will change very quickly. The "holoscreen" was easy enough, but later on there might be some confusion. If I did, I would probably include some of the international slang the characters use throughout too (Sara's character, Jacky, is already doing it up :P). Thoughts on the idea?

Also, before I get too far to go back efficiently, which characters do you want to see introduced (as in how I've introduced Aleksei, Ian, and Jacky)? I think it would get a little too monotonous to show every one of them, though I might be able to make that work out if I can't see a good way around it.

\/very minor vague spoiler\/

Chapter 2 will be out hopefully tomorrow, if school doesn't fail. As of right now I think I'll combine Jacky and Susannah (aka Sara and Nikki :P) into one chapter and then the major stuff will come out when Ian is approached in Chapter 3. That's when things will be explained with a little more depth as far as the plot with ISAS and the government(s). Chapter 4 may go back to Alex and/or Sid, but I don't plan that far ahead ;)

Anyways, I'm wasting time I should be using to write. See ya :)

1 comment:

Brendan said...

Can't wait for more. Just a side comment; if you need someone to "jargon it up" lemme know. I've read enough star wars/trek to know how to make it sound techy, but not too. Carry on.